After using Windows based PCs for twenty years or more, I finally made the switch to a MacBook Pro last month. For someone who has spent 14 hours a day using a Windows PC for the last decade, the learning curve was a bit steep on the changeover. But having given it a chance now for about three weeks I am prepared to say that I officially love the new MacBook.
Here’s six reasons why:
- #1 No fan or other blowing noise. The aluminum case is not only awesome to look at, and substantial to the touch, but it acts as a heat sink to remove heat from the unit. What a marvelous idea, rather than surrounding those hot parts with a plastic case that does nothing but hold in the heat.
- #2 It looks cool. This might not be a very articulate reason, but you can’t deny it’s true, can you?
- #3 The battery life rocks. Over seven hours, depending of course on just what you are demanding of the computer in terms of your software. Relatively speaking, however, it can’t be beat.
- #4 It has a backlit keyboard. Enough said.
- #5 It’s fast. I don’t really know that much about gigahertz or megahertz and all that speed jazz. What I do know is that this MacBook is fast. And it’s smooth. It’s hard for me to describe what I mean by smooth other than when you experience it you know what it means. Windows open fast and crisp. None of the choppy behavior that I had come to know, and accept, on my Windows machines.
- #6 The MagSafe power cord and connection. What a great idea. A power cord that attaches by magnet, and not by plug. As a result, anyone tripping on your power cord at a coffee shop or an airport doesn’t cause your laptop to come crashing down to the floor. Rather, the MagSafe cord just slips off. Marvelous idea indeed!
I never thought I would make the switch. But I have and I am darn glad I did. In my estimation there is just an intangible feel to the MacBook. I can’t quite describe it. It simply feels, and acts, more substantial and is much quicker. It’s got a good feel. I know I can’t convince anyone else but myself. But I’m convinced!
Photo couresty of Mac User’s Guide